Obtaining Norwegian criminal record certificates

A criminal record certificate contains information about a person's entries in the police records. A criminal record certificate is required in many professions and when working for voluntary organisations. Criminal record certificates are only issued for the purposes described in laws and regulations and only for specific reasons – not on a general basis. A list of these reasons is available on the Norwegian Police’ website.


Electronic application for a criminal record certificate

If you are aged 18 or over, you may apply for a criminal record certificate online. To log in you require a valid MinID, BankID, Buypass or Commfides details. This will confirm your identity, and you will not have to submit proof of identification.

For more information and links to the online forms, please see Electronic application for a criminal record certificate.


Apply for a criminal record certificate by post

If you are under 18 years of age or for other reasons unable to apply for a criminal record certificate online, you may submit your application by post.

If you live abroad, the application must be sent to the Police unit for background checks and police certificates:

Politiets enhet for vandelskontroll og politiattester
Postboks 113
N-9951 Vardø

The application must include:

  • Application form
  • Certified copy of valid passport, drivers licence or bank card containing your photo and signature
  • Documentation of why you need the criminal record certificate
  • Signature of parent/legal guardian if you are under the age of 18

The Embassy wishes to advise that the Certificate may on request be issued in English, German, French or Spanish if no criminal offence is registered.

Bookmark and Share